The purpose of this grant is to fund innovative small projects that will contribute to enhancing the overall wellbeing of islanders, our communities, and Haida Gwaii. We welcome applicants from a wide range of areas such as education, wellness, infrastructure, and training to apply. Community Innovation is our “catch all” program for small grants.
Who can apply?
- Local non-profit organizations
How much money is available?
- Maximum funding for an organization is $10,000 per year
- Equity requirement
- Nonprofit organizations: 25%
- Local governments: 50%
- Applications must be received by 4pm on the 1st of each intake month.
- There are no intakes on January 1st, August 1st, or December 1st.
- The last intake of the year is November 1st at 4 pm.
- Applications must be received a minimum of two months before the project is planned to start.
- The two-month minimum starts when the next intake closes.
- Funding is available until the annual budget is exhausted.
Eligible uses of the grant
- Innovative initiatives in education, wellness, language, and the environment.
- Projects that help improve basic facilities and equipment.
- Projects that help service providers deliver unique projects on Haida Gwaii.
- Innovative projects that seek to remove barriers to employment.
- Other innovative ideas are welcome.
Ineligible uses of the grant
- Core funding.
- Expenses incurred prior to approval.
- Other items as outlined in the General Grant Guidelines.
How to apply
Full details of the Community Innovation Grant can be found in the Application Guide.
Applications must be submitted online through our grant management system. You will need to create an account to access application forms, save drafts, and submit your application. If you don’t have access to a computer or need assistance with your application, please call or visit our offices.
The Gwaii Trust Board of Directors will review complete applications to make funding decisions by consensus. Funding decisions usually take two months after any scheduled intake deadline.