The purpose of the Haida Language grant is to support initiatives to revitalize and sustain the Haida language. Financial support is directed at the three Haida language organizations on island, enabling them to pursue projects that will improve fluency, transfer knowledge from one generation to the next, and nurture mentorships.
Who can apply?
- By invitation from the Board of Directors to the Haida Gwaii Mentor Apprentice Program, Skidegate Haida Language Immersion Program, and Xaad Kil.
How much money is available?
$60,000 per applicant
- Equity requirement 25%
- Applications must be received by 4pm on the 1st of each intake month
- There are no intakes on January 1st
- Last intake of the year is June 1st at 4pm
- Applications must be received a minimum of two months before the project is planned to start. The two-month minimum starts when the next intake closes.
Eligible uses of the grant
- Core funding is eligible.
- Any materials and services needed to support the perpetuation and revitalization of the Haida language.
Ineligible uses of the grant
- Expenses incurred prior to approval.
- Other items as outlined in the General Grant Guidelines.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted online through our grant management system. You will need to create an account to access application forms, save drafts and submit your application. If you don’t have access to a computer or need assistance with your application, please call or visit our offices.
The Gwaii Trust Board of Directors will review complete applications to make funding decisions by consensus. Funding decisions usually take two months after any scheduled intake deadline.