The Major Contributions Grant is designed to support larger projects in community infrastructure and planning. Our goal is to help build safer, healthier, and more attractive communities. Major Contributions is designed to help enhance the lives of all islanders and make our island a more desirable place to live, work, play and visit.
Who can apply?
- Local non-profit organizations
How much money is available?
- Minimum application amounts:
- Non-profit organizations $25,000
- Local governments $50,000
- Maximum application amount: $250,000
- Applications must be received by 4pm on March 1 or September 1.
- Applications must be received a minimum of two months before the project is planned to start. The two-month minimum starts when the next intake closes.
Eligible Uses of the grant
- While Major Contributions is open to accepting a wide range of applications that seek to have a significant impact, key priorities for this grant are infrastructure, economic development and job creation, emergency preparedness, and the environment.
- Preference is given to:
- non-profit organizations
- applications involving multiple communities that contribute to Haida Gwaii as a whole
- projects that produce and maintain sustainable jobs
- applications that have taken advantage of leveraging opportunities, partnership agreements, and collaboration
- Maximum project length is two years.
Ineligible uses of the grant
- Core funding.
- Expenses incurred prior to approval.
- Other items as outlined in the General Grant Guidelines.
How to apply
Applications are available approximately six weeks prior to any deadline. Applications must be submitted online through our grant management system. You will need to create an account to access application forms, save drafts, and submit your application. If you don’t have access to a computer or need assistance with your application, please call or visit our offices.
The Gwaii Trust Board of Directors will review complete applications to make funding decisions by consensus. Funding decisions usually take two months after any scheduled intake deadline.