Occasionally Gwaii Trust provides grant funding for strategic projects that don’t fit into our typical granting streams and fall outside our annual budgets. Special Projects grants support projects that are large in scale, of all Island benefit, and align with the strategic priorities of Gwaii Trust and Haida Gwaii.
Who can apply?
- Local non-profit organizations
- Local governments
How much money is available?
- This grant stream is subject to availability of funds.
- No maximum application amount.
- Maximum request is 50% of total project costs.
- Applications must be received by 4pm on the 1st of each intake month.
- Applications must be received a minimum of two months before the project is planned to start.
- There are no intakes on January 1st.
- Last intake of the year is November 1st at 4 pm.
Eligible uses of the grant
- Individual project eligibility is determined by Gwaii Trust at its sole discretion.
- Strategic, broadly supported projects that address community challenges or take advantage of unique opportunities that have significant positive impacts on Haida Gwaii.
- Funding is project based, meaning it supports single, short-term projects that can be completed within 24 months of approval. This fund is not intended for long term projects and will not provide multi-year funding.
- At least 50% of project funding must come from sources other than Gwaii Trust.
- Eligible costs include direct costs that are necessary for the successful implementation of the project.
- Applicants must demonstrate that they have the ability to complete the project and sustainably operate the completed project.
- Applicants must demonstrate that they have exhausted all other sources of funding available.
- Preference will be given to projects that leverage significant external funding.
- Maximum project length is two years.
Ineligible uses of the grant
- Expenses incurred prior to approval
- Projects that are eligible for one of the Trust’s other programs.
- Core funding.
- Mechanical repair/replacement or structural renovations that should reasonably be anticipated and budgeted for.
- Other items as outlined in the General Grant Guidelines.
How to apply
Applications must be submitted online through our grant management system. If you think you are eligible for funding for this grant, please contact Carla Lutner at 250.559.5807 to discuss your project in further detail. If you are eligible, you will receive an invitation to apply and a link to the online application.
The Gwaii Trust Board of Directors will review complete applications to make funding decisions by consensus. Funding decisions usually take two months after any scheduled intake deadline.