The Individual Travel Assistance Grant helps residents travel off-island to participate in educational, cultural, arts, sports and seniors’ events. This grant can also help with travel costs to bring expertise on-island for educational, arts, cultural, sports, seniors and special needs purposes.
If you are travelling as a group you may be eligible for the Group Travel Grant. Click here for more information.
Who can apply?
- Individual residents
- For the purposes of this grant, residents are defined as people who have lived on Haida Gwaii for the past 12 consecutive months. A student who has left Haida Gwaii to attend school but otherwise maintains their residency is considered a resident.
How much money is available?
- Up to $250 per return trip.
- Adults can apply for up to two trips a year, and there is no limit for youth (ages 2-18).
- Applications will be accepted throughout the year.
- Your application must be submitted at least seven days before you travel.
Eligible uses of the grant
- Travel by air, train, bus, taxi fares and/or ferry, including berths
- Car rental
- Accommodation to a maximum of $150/night
- Food to a maximum of $60/day
- Registration fees
Ineligible uses of the grant
- You are not eligible for funding if you trip will be paid for by your employer or any other group. The travel assistance program is an out-of-pocket program.
- Participation is key for this program. Attending an event as a spectator is not an approved purpose of this program.
- This grant cannot be used in conjunction with any other Gwaii Trust grant (with the exception of the Continuing Education Grant).
- This program is not intended to fund trips whose primary purpose is a vacation.
How to apply
Full details of the Individual Travel Assistance Grant can be found in the application guide. Applications must be submitted online through our grant management system. You will need to create an account to access application forms, save drafts and submit your application. If you don’t have access to a computer or need assistance with your application, please call or visit our offices.
Funding decisions usually take up to three weeks. Decisions are made by staff according to board policy.