The Gwaii Trust Society is a nonprofit society that owns and manages a multi-million-dollar perpetual fund for the benefit of all the people of Haida Gwaii. The fund generates investment income, and the Society distributes part of that income annually through various grant programs.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Chief Operations Officer (COO) oversees Gwaii Trust’s day-to-day operations in alignment with organizational values, policies, and objectives. The COO provides strategic leadership through the delivery of complex corporate and service-related activities and provides practical day-to-day leadership by coaching and building capacity within the organization. This position develops strong internal working relationships and is integral to shaping and articulating the Society’s vision, values, and organizational culture to deliver on its mission and mandate.
Position type: Full-time
Location: Skidegate or Old Massett
Primary Responsibilities – not limited to:
- Ensure the implementation and delivery of services in a manner that is consistent with the strategic direction and organizational values
- Through strategic planning tools, participate in the development of sound business, and risk management plans and processes to ensure the strategic and sustainable delivery of services
- With the Executive Director, identify and be accountable for operational and program priorities about strategic objectives and organizational mission
- Advise the Executive Director on policy deficiencies and organizational structural issues that may affect service delivery
- Oversee the ongoing implementation and evaluation of effective operational and administrative systems to ensure quality and timely services
- Ensure adherence to standards of service and legislative, regulatory, and contractual requirements
- Assign projects, monitor deadlines, and ensure timely submission of required documentation to external agencies
- Executive Director
- Provide technical, operational, and personnel recommendations
- Direct general administrative functions to ensure an effective, high-quality work environment
- Ensure all professional, licensing, and other regulations are met to satisfy legal requirements
- Collaborate with the CEO to ensure the successful implementation and ongoing management of IT platforms used throughout the organization
- Oversee and manage external IT contractor(s) to ensure ongoing maintenance and quality of IT systems and infrastructure, including website maintenance
- Monitor operational and service delivery requirements (e.g., staffing/talent levels, opportunities, challenges, etc.) and develop related strategic human resource solutions and services
- Support the selection of qualified candidates through fair and legal processes
- Develop capacity and systems within the organization by ensuring that training, support, and supervision are available to employees
- Provide leadership, planning and direction to team members through advice, interpretation of policies, procedures, and processes, including resolution of issues related to daily activities
- Maintain a positive, healthy, and safe work environment that supports growth, retention, and engagement
- Develop and modify human resources policies and procedures, ensuring legal compliance with relevant provincial and federal legislation and the introduction of people and culture best practices
- Develop and implement performance management processes and systems that reflect organizational goals and objectives
- Promote equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workforce by removing barriers to employment
- Develop and implement occupational health and safety policies and procedures
- Ensure digital and hard-copy employee records are current, accurate, complete, and secure
- Provide oversight of all grant programs, acting as the grant manager for special projects and other grant programs
- Provide support to grant officers including backup during absences and assistance with the interpretation of policy
- Work with Executive Director to approve extension requests or budget changes on grants or refer to Board when higher approval authority is needed
- Work with grant officers to provide recommendations on improvements to grant criteria or policy to the Executive Director
- Respond to enquiries from the public on grant programs and attend in-person or virtual meetings with potential applicants to discuss projects where appropriate
- Provide reporting back to the Executive Director on grant status, outcomes and feedback from staff and applicants
Communications + Marketing
- Manage and leads the development of new communications strategies and plans to advance the organization’s identity and increase of visibility of the organization’s mission and vision across key stakeholder audiences
- Oversee the development of all print and digital communications including annual reports, website and social media, press releases, and other marketing materials
- Manage and oversee the general upkeep and maintenance of the organization’s administrative buildings, including an annual inventory of assets, property, and equipment
- Ensure all building operations, maintenance, and major repairs are compliant with relevant building codes, requirements, and property and liability insurance audits
- Coordinate and oversee employee training activities related to safety, security, evacuations, building lockdowns, etc.
- Manage employee and external contractors engaged for building cleaning, waste disposal, plumbing, extermination, landscape maintenance, and other special repairs or services
Education, Certification and Experience
- We encourage all interested applicants to apply as mentorship and training could be available for a suitable candidate.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Deep knowledge and passion for supporting community services with an ability to build strategic services and initiatives that result in meaningful change
- Commitment and passion for Gwaii Trust’s vision to advocate and support an Islands community characterized by respect for cultural diversity, the environment, and a sustainable and increasingly self-sufficient economy
- Experience developing, implementing, and monitoring innovative strategic and operational planning, that builds on the organization’s mission and mandate, future planning, and the delivery of services
- A commitment to and champion for equity, diversity, inclusion, Truth and Reconciliation
- Experience managing and providing leadership development to a strong, and dynamic team through innovation and teamwork.
- Knowledge and extensive experience of how to lead and supervise staff, including a thorough understanding of performance management, labour relations, and dispute resolution processes
- Experience implementing communication and marketing strategies
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment based primarily out of Old Massett or Skidegate Office. Occasional travel between Haida Gwaii communities to attend meetings or training is required. Occasional weekend and evening work is required.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience. Full suite of benefits including paid vacation, sick and cultural leave. Employer paid medical, dental, and health spending account after three months. Group retirement plan with employer matching after three months.
Please submit a resume and cover letter via email to email@example.com by September 29, 2023.