The Finance and Administrative Assistant provides finance and administrative support for Gwaii Trust, Athlii Gwaii Legacy Trust and the Haida Gwaii Community Foundation.
Position type: Full-time Permanent 35 Hours per week
Location: Old Massett
- Provides support to the Finance Manager as required. This includes activities such as making entries into the Accounting Software, issuing and distributing cheques and Automated Funds Transfers, filing, running financial reports, etc.
- Pays invoices, project claims and expense claims for Gwaii Trust, Athlii Gwaii Legacy Trust and Haida Gwaii Community Foundation under the supervision of the Finance Manager
- Enters payables and receivables into Sage 50 accounting system
- Posts journal entries when requested by Finance Manager
- Files accounting documents to facilitate accurate financial records
- Assists the Finance Manager with projects, administrative and clerical duties as required
- Acts as the back-up to the Finance Manager when she is absent
- Replies to general information requests and refers to appropriate staff or Board members as needed
- Performs reception duties including greeting visitors, receiving and sorting incoming mail, faxes, website and email enquiries and accepting deliveries
- Prepares and sends outgoing mail, faxes and courier deliveries
- Ensures adequate office and kitchen supplies, monitors inventory, anticipates requirements, places orders and confirms receipt
- Maintains and replenishes the postage machine fund and Xerox machine
- Maintains records management systems including paper and electronic files, ensures appropriate retention and archival processes are followed
- First point of contact for issues with building and maintenance issues maintenance; arranges for service as needed
- Completes project-based work as assigned
- Coordinates travel arrangements for COO and other staff as requested
- Coordinates and facilitates Directors, alternates and staff to be present at board meetings, committee meetings and other functions
- Coordinates travel arrangements
- Coordinates logistics for meetings and events and assists with set up of meetings as required. This may include venue set up, catering, technology etc.
- Provides relief support for meetings such as documenting and distributing meeting agendas, information gathering, recording meeting minutes, coordinating conference calls etc.
Other related duties as assigned.
Education, Certification and Experience
- Grade 12 and/or accounting and office administration training. A post-secondary certificate program is preferred
- 2 years of prior experience in an administrative role
- Experience working with members of the public
- Experience with Simply Accounting or Sage would be an asset
- Class 5 or 7 driver’s license
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Well-developed communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent client service skills. Friendly, positive, responsive, professional and helpful
- Strong writing skills
- Well organized and proactive with strong time management skills and the ability to adjust priorities as needed.
- Well-developed office administration skills including records management
- Ability to exercise a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality
- Able to work independently with minimal day-to-day supervision as well as working within a collaborative team framework
- Intermediate computer skills including MS Office
- Understanding of office equipment including copiers and phone systems
- Committed to Gwaii Trust’s vision to advocate and support an Islands community characterized by respect for cultural diversity, the environment, and a sustainable and increasingly self-sufficient economy
- Work is performed primarily in an office environment based primarily out of Old Massett, with some remote work required during COVID. Occasional travel between Skidegate and Old Massett offices to attend meetings or training is required. Occasional weekend and evening work is required.
Salary and Benefits
$20.88 per hour starting wage. 35 hours a week. Full suite of benefits including paid vacation and sick leave. Employer paid medical, dental, and health spending account. Group retirement plan with employer matching.
Please submit a resume and a one-page cover letter via email to Carla Lutner, Chief Operations Officer by October 9, 2020.
Carla Lutner, Chief Operations Officer, Gwaii Trust Society
Phone: (250) 559-5807