Haida Gwaii Staycation Grant
The Haida Gwaii Staycation Grant provides financial assistance for Haida Gwaii residents to explore the adventure opportunities we have in our backyard and support open Haida Gwaii tourism businesses.
Who can apply?
For the purposes of this grant, residents are defined as individuals who have lived on Haida Gwaii for the past 12 consecutive months. An individual who has left Haida Gwaii to attend school, to seek medical treatment or for a vacation but otherwise maintains their residency is considered a resident.
How much money is available?
Up to $250.
We need to receive your application at least one day before your Haida Gwaii Staycation. Applications received later than this will not be eligible for funding. The Haida Gwaii Staycation Grant is open until the budget is exhausted or until the Board of Directors cancels the program.
What is covered?
- We will pay the lesser of the actual receipted cost or $250 towards booking fees at locally owned tourism businesses, including fishing charters, tour operators, gear rental businesses (kayaks, surfboards, bikes, scooters) and accommodation providers.
- To qualify, tourism business must be locally owned and operated and in operation prior to March 2020.
- Accommodation to a maximum of $150/night.
- Adults and youth can apply for one grant per year.
- Families and organizations may apply as a group.
- You are not eligible for funding if your trip will be paid for by your employer or any other group. The Haida Gwaii Staycation grant is an out-of-pocket program.
- No other expenses are eligible under this grant including mileage, meals or other incidental costs.
- We will need receipts for all reimbursed expenses.
How to apply
Full details of the Haida Gwaii Staycation Grant can be found in the Application Guide
Applications must be submitted online through our grant management system. You will need to create an account to access application forms, save drafts, and submit your application. If you don’t have access to a computer or need assistance with your application, please contact Pam Hill.
Apply as early as possible. Approvals may take up to two weeks depending on volume. Decisions are made by staff according to Board set policy.