The Arts Grant is designed to encourage the development of artistic skills and expression on Haida Gwaii. The grant has a long history of supporting diverse and creative projects in a wide range of media. We welcome applications from individual artists who seek to explore new ideas and advance their work. We also welcome applications from organizations for a wide range of areas, including community-based art projects that are accessible to all.
Who can apply?
How much money is available?
- Up to $10,000 per project
- Equity requirement
- Individuals 25%
- Nonprofit organizations 25%
- Local governments: 50%
- Applications must be received by 11:59pm on February 1 or October 1.
- Applications must be received a minimum of two months before the project is planned to start. The two-month minimum starts when the next intake closes.
- Funding is available until the annual budget is exhausted.
Eligible uses of the grant
- The Arts Grant has funded projects involving:
- Performing arts: theatre, dance, music
- Two and three dimensional works: painting, drawing, carving, weaving, sculpture
- Photography and video
- Fiction, non-fiction and poetry writing
- Other arts and ideas are welcome
- Costs associated with exhibitions, collaborations and creation of new works, travel, and materials
- Rentals of equipment, venue, working space, and other items related to the project
- Fees for facilitators, professionals and their travel costs
- Open and affordable community arts projects or events
- Living costs will only be considered in exceptional circumstances
Ineligible uses of the grant
- Renting an applicant’s own space and equipment
- Using an applicant’s own space or equipment as equity
- Material gain by an individual or organization
- Equipment purchases
- Expenses to construct or renovate working spaces
- Costs related to starting or maintaining a business, capital costs, or core operating funds
- Expenses incurred prior to approval
- Core funding
- Other items as outlined in the General Grant Guidelines
How to apply
Full details of the Arts Grant can be found in the Application Guide.
Applications are available approximately six weeks before any deadline. Applications must be submitted online through our grant management system. You will need to create an account to access application forms, save drafts and submit your application. If you don’t have access to a computer or need assistance with your application, please call or visit our offices.
The Gwaii Trust Board of Directors will review complete applications and make funding decisions by consensus. Funding decisions usually take two months after any scheduled intake deadline.