Green Shield Canada has partnered with the Gwaii Trust Society through the Haida Gwaii Community Foundation in establishing the GSC Community Impact Fund, with the goal of investing in local organizations dedicated to improving oral and mental health on Haida Gwaii.
The oral health fund supports initiatives that help increase access to dental services for underinsured and uninsured Haida Gwaii residents.
The mental health fund invests in initiatives that support the delivery of mental health care and in advocacy projects that increase awareness of mental health issues and resources
Who can apply?
- Federally registered Canadian charities or qualified donees who are located on Haida Gwaii.
Check for eligibility
How much money is available?
- Up to $25,000 per application.
- Contact Gwaii Trust staff to discuss initiatives that require more support.
- Potential to extend successful projects to a second year to build on pilot projects.
Eligible uses of the grant
- The Green Shield Canada funding call will support registered charities and other qualified donees on Haida Gwaii to enable a wide range of initiatives that address mental or oral health issues including:
- Increasing access to mental or oral health treatment, or services for vulnerable individuals.
- Increasing integration of mental or oral health services.
- Increasing individuals’ awareness on how to navigate health care services.
- Increasing individuals’ knowledge about mental or oral health.
- Innovating new practices in the delivery of mental or oral health services.
- Reducing costs for the delivery of mental or oral health services to users.
- Applications are encouraged that support vulnerable populations such as marginalized or racialized people, people living with disabilities, young adults aging out of care, children and youth, people living in poverty, etc.
- Direct costs of the project or initiative are eligible, including wages, administrative expenses, and supply costs.
Ineligible uses of the grant
- Expenses that are covered by other resources or funders.
- Event sponsorships.
- Initiatives without specific and direct benefit to the mental and oral health of Haida Gwaii residents.
- Expenses incurred prior to approval.
How to apply
Applications can be submitted online through our grant management system. You will need to create an account to access application forms, save drafts and submit your application. If you don’t have access to a computer or need assistance with your application, please call or visit our offices.
Green Shield Canada will review submitted applications and make recommendations to the Gwaii Trust Board of Directors. Key tests for applications are number of lives impacted by the programming and the depth of this impact. The Gwaii Trust Board of Directors take these recommendations under consideration when making funding decisions. Funding decisions take up to two months after the deadline date.