The Group Travel Assistance Grant is open to all residents of Haida Gwaii, as well as schools and non-profit organizations. This grant helps teams and other groups travel off-island to participate in educational, cultural, arts, sports and seniors’ events. It can also be used to help fund on-island travel for school groups.
Who can apply?
- Teams, clubs and other informal groups
- Non-profit organizations
- Local schools
How much money is available?
- Up to $250 per group member to a maximum of $4,000 per return trip for adult groups
- Up to $5,000 per trip for youth groups
- Adults can apply for up to two trips a year, and there is no limit for youth (ages 2-18).
- Applications will be accepted throughout the year.
- We need to receive your application at least seven days before you travel.
Eligible uses of the grant
- Travel by air, train, bus and/or ferry, including berths
- Car rental
- Accommodation to a maximum of $150/night per person
- Food to a maximum of $60/day per person
- Registration fees
Ineligible uses of the grant
- Participation is key for this program. Attending an event as a spectator is not an approved purpose of this program.
- This program is not intended to fund trips whose primary purpose is a vacation.
- You are not eligible for funding if your trip will be paid for by your employer or any other group. The travel assistance program is an out-of-pocket program.
- Mileage and admission fees are not eligible for reimbursement.
- This grant cannot be used in conjunction with any other Gwaii Trust grant (with the exception of the Continuing Education Grant).
- Once your trip is done, we will need copies of receipts and a final trip report, with photos. No future funding will be approved until all obligations are fulfilled for previous travel.
How to apply
Full details of the Group Travel Assistance Grant can be found in the application guide. Applications must be submitted online through our grant management system. You will need to create an account to access application forms, save drafts and submit your application. If you don’t have access to a computer or need assistance with your application, please call or visit our offices.
Funding decisions usually take up to three weeks. Decisions are made by staff according to board policy.