The Youth Grant provides funding to organizations on Haida Gwaii for educational and recreational services aimed at youth. Due to the impact of the COVID19 pandemic on youth across the islands, applications focused on youth mental health will take priority in 2021. In general, we are interested in applications that support increased opportunities for youth in sports, culture, arts and outdoor activities, reduce barriers to participation, and promote youth leadership.
Who can apply?
- Local non-profit organizations
- Local governments
How much money is available?
- Up to $10,000 per application.
- Equity requirement: nonprofit organizations 25%, local governments 50%.
- March 1st and October 1st at 4pm.
- Applications must be received a minimum of two months before the project is planned to start.
- Funding is available until the annual budget is exhausted.
Eligible uses of the grant
- Core funding is eligible.
- Projects that support youth programming, minimize barriers to youth
participation,and bringing Island youth together.
- The Youth Board will give preference to applications that maximize the number of individuals and communities involved.
- Projects funded by the Youth Centred Communities grant are eligible to apply to the last Youth Grant intake of the year.
- The grant is intended to support projects where the majority of participants are
school aged(K-12), with a priority given to high school aged youth.
- Youth Centres are considered to be nonprofit organizations.
Ineligible uses of the grant
- Expenses incurred prior to approval.
- Other items as outlined in the General Grant Guidelines.
How to apply
Full details of the Youth Grant can be found in the Application Guide.
Applications are available approximately six weeks prior to any deadline. Applications must be submitted online through our grant management system. You will need to create an account to access application forms, save drafts and submit your application. If you don’t have access to a computer or need assistance with your application, please call or visit our offices.
The Youth Board will review complete applications and make funding recommendations. The funding recommendations are reviewed by the Gwaii Trust Board of Directors, which makes the final funding decision on Youth Grant applications. Funding decisions usually take two months after any scheduled intake deadline.